If you are a Flint resident in need of immediate water resources please dial the United Way 211 or call toll-free 866-561-2500. 

If you are a Flint resident and do not find the answer to your questions on this site, call Governor Snyder's office directly at 517-335-7858 or click here to submit a question online.


Where can Flint residents obtain free water resources & Recycle?

Free water filters, replacement cartridges, bottled water, and water testing kits are available at the following locations. These community resource centers also serve as recycling locations. Flint residents can bring empty water bottles and used filter cartridges to these locations to be recycled. 

Community Water Resource Centers

  • Ross Plaza, 2320 W. Pierson Road (Ward 1)
  • St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church, 3020 DuPont St. (Ward 2)
  • Universal Systems, 1401 E. Stewart Ave. (Ward 3 - Last day of service at this location is 6 p.m. on Aug. 17) 
  • Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church, 4805 N. Saginaw St. (Ward 3)
  • Franklin Avenue Lot, 2804 N. Franklin Ave. (Ward 4)
  • Old Flint Farmers’ Market, 420 E. Boulevard Drive (Ward 5)
  • West Court Street Church of God, 2920 W. Court St. (Ward 6)
  • Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center, 3501 Lapeer Road (Ward 7)
  • Lincoln Park United Methodist Church, 3410 Fenton Road (Ward 8)
  • Eastown Bowling Alley, 3001 S. Dort Highway (Ward 9)

Effective Monday, October 24, 2016 all resource sites will be open
Monday - Saturday from Noon - 6 p.m. 


These sites are staffed by Flint residents, with hiring coordinated by GST Michigan Works! Positions are still available and more information can be found at www.gsworks.org.


Is there a local crisis counseling center that I can talk to? 

Yes, crisis counseling is available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. by calling (810) 257-3705. Ask for a stress counselor for the water situation. Or visit www.genhs.org to find a community location and talk to someone who can help.

Is the water in Flint safe to drink?

Flint residents should remain drinking and cooking with filtered or bottled water. President Obama, Governor Snyder and Mayor Weaver agree that most Flint residents should use filtered water. 

Under a consensus of local, state, federal and outside experts, water filters are effective in removing lead from water. All populations may now consume filtered water, including pregnant women and children under 6.

In Case You Missed It: WLNS: Flint Mayor Weaver on water filters: “I agree with President Obama”


When will the water be safe to drink?

Residents should install filters to their taps so they have immediate, ongoing access to safe water.

There is currently scientific testing being conducted of the water system by the Michigan DEQ, the EPA and independent expert Professor Marc Edwards. Until all the studies are finished and results confirmed all residents should continue to use filters or bottled water for drinking and cooking.

To date, 33 lead service lines have been removed in Flint. The City of Flint currently has $2 million to begin 500 more lead lines removals and the State of Michigan is working toward providing another $25 million. 

Is lead the only thing scientists are testing for?

Water is being tested for a number of elements including lead, copper and chlorine. Additional environmental factors are also being monitored to establish a baseline for testing. 


To be safe, all pets should remain drinking filtered or bottled water. If you believe your pet may have been exposed to lead contact your veterinarian. 

We have scammers in our neighborhood offering to do testing in order to gain access, steal, or offer fake services. What is being done about scammers?

If someone is witness to or suspects criminal activity please dial 9-1-1 or the non-emergency number for Genesee County.

Residents should ask to see the ID of anyone attempting to enter their home or business.

It is completely appropriate to call the governmental authority or company they claim to represent. Check the company’s complaint history by calling the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division (toll free) at 1-877-765-8388.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette issued a warning about two common scams involving charitable giving and home and business repairs. To report a suspected scam email the Charitable Trust Section at ct_email@michigan.gov.

Where can I apply for a SBA Disaster loan for my Small Business in Flint?

Businesses looking to apply may contact: 1-800-659-2955 (1-800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing), or by sending an email to disastercustomerservice@sba.gov.

Can I water my vegetable garden with the water?

Yes, you may water your vegetable gardens or plants with the water. But still use filtered or bottled water to clean the fruits and vegetables before you eat them.

For more information regarding garden soil please click here to read a study by Michigan State University. Their conclusion states "It seems unlikely that lead contaminated irrigation water had any significant impact on lead levels in Flint garden soils. This will provide reassurance for Flint’s gardeners/farmers questioning the safety of growing food in soil that has been irrigated with lead-contaminated water over the past two growing seasons."